This article may include affiliate hyperlinks. We earn a small amount of commission for no cost whenever you make a purchase with our affiliate hyperlinks. We invite you to read our Privacy Statement for more information.
Easy Zucchini fritters are crisp on the outside, but soft inside. They are fried, air-fried or baked! They’re a fast and simple snack that even the most picky eaters will enjoy. Gluten-free keto, grain-free vegan and dairy-free with Whole30, paleo, and vegan alternatives.
Pin HERE for a later time and follow me on my boards for more recipes and ideas
Last updated August 20, 2022
Crispy Vegetarian Zucchini Fritters Recipe
From the smoky Italian spice to the spicy sweet paprika, these scrumptious zucchini fritters are packed with mouth-watering flavors. Each bite of crisp will transform into a delicious morsel of food as your taste buds are able to enjoy the garlicky, tangy goodness. Limiting yourself to a couple of fritters isn’t enough!
The healthy ingredients and no need of deep-frying the recipe is healthier than ever. You can also swap them out to fit different diets! This is the perfect time to set the zucchini you have in your gardens to work, and then enjoy an all-new family favorite.
What is Fritters?
Fritters are made from a grated vegetable, fruit or animal that is blended into a batter containing different seasonings, and then cooked (or in this case , pan-fried) to crisp perfection. While they’re not exactly like the breakfast staple fritters, they’re sometimes called pancakes. Whatever they’re called they’ll make you a enthusiast.
This recipe for zucchini cakes relies on ingredients that are likely to be in your kitchen in the present. Go to the recipe’s card to find the quantities needed.
- Zucchini Utilize a container grated grater to chop the zucchini into small pieces, then remove the moisture using a cheesecloth or paper towels.
- Large egg: For those who are vegan mix 1 tablespoon of flax seeds and 2 tablespoons water and after which you can let the mixture sit until it becomes thicker.
- Almond flour: It is important to go for the fine blanched almond flour, and the almond meal. Utilize using a spoon with a level to get an precise measurement.
- Parmesan Cheese made from plant-based ingredients: Feel free to choose regular parmesan in the event that you’re not dairy-free, or vegan. If you’re following the Paleo or Whole30 diet, you can use the nutritional yeast.
- Baking PowderThis popular leavening ingredient assists in making fluffy, crisp fritters.
Sea Salt Fine Sea Salt
Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- Garlic PowderNote it is not recommended to use this in conjunction in conjunction with salt of garlic.
- Italian seasoning or any other blend of herbs that you are most fond of.
- The color of the green Onions: Finely sliced.
- chopped parsley It is an option, to give more flavour and freshness.
- Avocado Oil: Or olive oil. If you’re air-frying the fritters, you’ll require a spray or two sprays from a bottle of cooking spray. Baked zucchini fritters need absolutely no oil.
What is the best way to make Zucchini Fritters
Fritters are typically deep-fried, we’ll cover the pan-frying process to get started. We like to air-fry or bake them, however, that doesn’t mean that you must!
Beat Egg The egg should be added into an enormous mixing bowl and use a fork beat it.
Create Batter Mix the zucchini you have prepared almond flour baking powder, cheese, salt and spices, chopped green onions, and parsley. Mix all ingredients until the mixture resembles an emulsion, then add some almond flour and water as required to make it more consistent.
Heating Oil Make 2 tablespoons of avocado oil and heat in an enormous cast iron or non-stick skillet on medium temperature.
Fritters: Place 1 tablespoon of batter in the fryer, and then gently press each dollop until they are flat. Cook until fritters are golden brown, around 2-4 minutes on each side.
Repeat with the remaining batter: Transfer the finished fritters onto a paper towel lined plate, and repeat the process with the remaining batter.
Have fun! Serve the fritters warm, topped with a dollop Sour cream and a garnish of green onions chopped or Dill.
Air Fryer Method
The preparation for the Air Fryer Basket: Spray your Air Fryer basket with avocado oil spray or cover it with a sheet of parchment to avoid sticking.
Form Fritters Pour 1 1/2 teaspoon-sized pieces of the batter in an Air Fryer basket, at about an inch from each other. Press gently on each fritter until they are flat and lightly coat the fritters with oil.
Cooking Instructions: Close the Air Fryer and fry the fritters in 385 degrees for 11-12 minutes or until they are at the desired level of crispness, flipping and spraying half way through.
Repeat with the remaining batter: Transfer the finished fritters to a platter and then repeat the cooking process with any batter left over.
Take pleasure! Serve your zucchini fritters warm. Add the Sour cream and a pinch of fresh herb if you want.
Preparing for baking: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line the baking sheet by using parchment.
Form Fritters Scoop 1 1/2-tablespoon-sized batter on the baking pan, then gently flatten each dollop using gentle pressure.
Bake: Bake the zucchini patties for 10-12 minutes, after which you carefully flip them upside down and bake for another 10-12 minutes.
Take pleasure! Remove your zucchini cakes from the oven and place them on an unlined paper towel plate. Serve warm, topped with a dollop Sour cream and a dusting with chopped fresh green onions and Dill.
Tips to be Successful
Don’t settle with sub-par zucchini fritters. Use these guidelines to make sure they’re perfectly cooked!
- Dry the grated Zucchini Well: Use tea towels, cheesecloth, or thick paper towels to get rid of as the water from your grated zucchini as you can. This is essential to ensure crispness.
- Adjust the consistency of the batter: If your batter is too watery add a bit of more almond flour. If you feel it is too dry, you could add a small quantity of water.
- Heating things up: Be sure that the oil is hot prior to you pour in your batter and fry your fritters. If your Air Fryer requires preheating, don’t forget to do so. Make sure your oven is at the proper temperature prior to baking. Whichever method of cooking you select, the proper techniques for preheating will ensure the best results.
- Flip With Confidence Are you worried that you won’t be in a position to flip the fritters and not break them? I have a simple solution Use the fish spatula! Since it’s lightweight and flexible, it will do well in keeping the fritters in place while they are being flipped.
- Include another vegetable If you’re looking to make use of multiple vegetables that you have in the garden then go ahead and add some yellow squash, carrots, or sweet potatoes. Corn is a great addition too.
I love to dip my fritters in Aioli sauce that is creamy, or top them off with an ounce of dairy-free sourcream. It’s also nice to top them off with a dusting with chopped herb and a few freshly cut lemon wedges. For those looking to find an appropriate food item to serve with them, you’ll never miss out on Grilled Chicken, Vietnamese Spring Rolls or Kale Caesar Salad.
Storage and Reheating
After your zucchini fritters have completely cooled and are ready to be placed in an airtight container. Refrigerate them for 3 days. Separate the layers using parchment or wax paper if you need to stack them on top of one another. Reheat them on parchment-lined baking sheet at 350 degrees F until they’re warm.
Do Fritters Freeze Well?
Yes, they do! Spread the fritters that have cooled on a baking sheet lined with parchment and flash freeze in 20-minute intervals. Transfer your flash-frozen fritters into an industrial-grade storage bag or airtight container , and then freeze the fritters for up to 3 months.
You can either defrost your fritters in the refrigerator and then heat them like you would normally or heat them straight from frozen. To warm them up from frozen baking, bake them at 300 degF or fry them in the air at 315degF until they’re warm.
More Healthy Zucchini Recipes
The simple zucchini fritters are crisp on the outside but tender inside. They can be air-fried, fried or baked! They’re an easy and quick snack that even picky eaters will love. Gluten-free keto, grain-free, vegetarian and dairy-free, with Whole30, paleo, and vegan choices.
Keyword: air fried zucchini, vegetarian fritters, zucchini pancakes
Calories: 68 kcal
- 3 medium zucchini grated, and the extra water squeezed efficiently using cheesecloth or paper towels
- 1 large egg could be substituted with 1 flax egg to be veganism – 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds 2.5 Tbsp of water
- 1/2 cup superfine blanched almond flour
- 1 cup of grated vegan (or regular) Parmesan cheese we like Violife. Substitute nutritional yeast to make Whole30/paleo.
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 green onions finely sliced
- 2 2 tbsp fresh-chopped parsley optional for added flavour and freshness.
- avocado oil or olive oil
A large bowl of mixing add eggs and make use of a fork to beat. In the bowl, add the grated and squeezed out zucchini and almond flour baking powder, cheese, seasonings, salt and green onions and parsley , if there is parsley. Mix until it is well-combined.
If the batter appears too dry it is best to add a little of almond flour. If the batter is too dry, you can add a more water.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil into an iron skillet or a large cast iron non-stick skillet at medium-high temperature. Drop 1.5 tablespoon-sized portions into the pan, and then gently press the batter until it is make it flat.
Cook till both sides are golden, approximately 2 minutes for each side.
Transfer the batter to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Serve warm, topped with a dollop Sour cream. You can also top it by chopped green onions, or with dill and lemon wedges.
Air Fryer Method
Spray the basket of an air fryer in avocado oil, or cover with newspaper cut in the size you want to avoid sticking.
Scoop 1.5 tablespoons of portions into the air fryer basket, about an inch away. Press zucchini cakes until they are flat and then lightly spray with oil.
Close the air fryer, then cook it to 385F in 11-12 mins (or till desired degree of crispness) Turn and spray halfway through.
Transfer batter to plate and repeat with batter remaining.
Serve warm with a dollop Sour cream. Top the dish with chopped green onions and dill and lemon wedges.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. A baking sheet should be lined with parchment paper.
Drop 1.5 tablespoon-sized portions onto a baking sheets, then lightly press down the cake batter until it is make it flat. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, then flip it and bake another 10 – 12 minutes.
Remove from the oven and transfer to clean, towel-lined dish.
Serve warm with a dollop Sour cream. Top the dish with chopped green onions and dill the lemon wedges.
Notes on the Recipe
- To store and reheat: Refrigerate cooled fritters in an airtight container up 3 days. Add the parchment paper square between layers to prevent them from stay on the surface. Reheat on a parchment lined baking sheet at 350 degrees F until they are warmed up.
- For freezing: Place cooled fritters in one layers on the baking tray and flash-freeze for 20 mins. Transfer them to an enormous freezer bags or an airtight container, and keep in the freezer for 3 to 6 months. Freeze overnight in the fridge (or heat immediately from frozen using an oven that is three 30degF oven or 315degF air fryer).
Amount Per Serving (1 zucchini fritter)
Calories 68 Calories from Fat 45
Daily Value %*
* Nutritional information is offered as a service using this WPRM Recipe Calculator. It is suggested to do the calculations yourself to assure precision. We disclaim all and all responsibility for any reason with regard the act of omission or inaction made wholly or partially based on any information on this site. These values are calculated on a 2000-calorie diet.